Health News

Low-fat diet, the survival rate improves in the case of breast cancer enormously

The diet influenced the survival rate for breast cancer?

Researchers found that a low-fat diet, along with fruits and vegetables in women with breast cancer after the Menopause to a much higher survival rate.

In a recent study of the Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute (LA BioMed) found that a low-fat diet leads to an increased survival rate in women with breast cancer after the Menopause. This knowledge could save in the future, many women with the disease, the life.

The probability of death after a breast cancer disease, can be reduced by proper nutrition masssiv. (Image: Tyler Olson/

48.835 women participated in the study

Between 1993 and 1998 were collected in the framework of the study conducted in 40 clinical centers in the United States, the data from 48.835 postmenopausal women aged between 50 and 79 years. All of the participants had at the beginning of the study, no breast cancer disease. The women were divided into two groups, the first group took a normal diet, and 60 percent of the participants included. The remaining 40 percent of the women were assigned to the second group. These participants consumed a low-fat diet, which contained more cereals, fruit and vegetables.

How did the low-fat diet?

During the following examination period of eight and a half years, the women took more of the assigned forms of diet. In the group with the low-fat diet, there were slightly fewer deaths from breast cancer, which was, however, unlikely to be statistically significant. However, the number of women who do not verstarbt for various reasons (not necessarily on the cancer directly) after the breast cancer was in the group of women with a low-fat diet was significantly lower. This result was also observed in the follow-up examination an average of 17 years later. Finally, the researchers found, after almost 20 years of so-called Follow-up studies, the significant reduction in the deaths continued after breast cancer to continue. Even more important, however, is that they found a significant reduction in deaths that were directly caused by breast cancer, the group of women who followed the pattern of a low-fat diet.

Some women benefited more from low-fat diet

As a result, the study’s author, Dr. Chlebowski of LA BioMed and his Team to the conclusion that a low-fat diet scheme, which includes increased consumption of vegetables, fruits and cereals, is an effective means to reduce the risk of death from breast cancer in women after Menopause. This low-fat dietary pattern effect even more on the reduction of deaths from breast cancer in women with a high waist circumference, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and / or Diabetes.

“Our Review is the only study that provides randomized clinical trial evidence that an Intervention in the diet can reduce the risk of a woman dying of breast cancer,” said Dr. Chlebowski said in a press release. The results of the study show that a low-fat diet is a simple and cost-effective method by which many lives can be saved, so the leader of the study. (as)